Thursday, November 09, 2006

I am not a poet















(*Thanks M! for giving this piece a brilliant structure and a decent flow. Here's the edited version* )

I really want to write about dreams, beauty and love
But my head is clogged with memories and thoughts
I am in mourning…
Don’t you know there have been a couple of deaths?

Oh! I wish I was a poet!
I would then dress up my words and use camouflage
Or if only I could be like the Lizard King,
I’d sedate myself and pass out in my bathtub
The record of reality is on full swing
It plays in the background, doing its own thing!
I am with my savior, the maverick king and his kin,
who was made to leave his Garden of Eden, and abandon everything
The princess had met and believed an unfortunate snake
Thankfully, the forbidden fruit she was going to pluck was rotten and stale

Oh yes, did I tell you?
Times have changed and no story remains the same
Characters choose their own part now; Mr. Shakespeare is off the stage
Pretty Fairies are not born anymore; it’s demons that sprout everywhere
Witches, they confuse you with makeup, poor angels have no choice
Cinderellas aren’t invited to balls anymore; the mirrors have learnt to lie
Frogs don’t turn into charming princes, and living happily ever after is a myth

What is it?
Destiny on its full play or karma setting up the stage
My mind is tired and I am losing my words
I told you, I am not a shaman nor a poet
I cannot feign, I cannot create a farce
From realizations, I am leaving on oblivion’s aircraft



5 comments:

Ishieta said...

well my dear, why this slide/ spiral downwards... the only thing which keeps us going is hope and belief in those fairy tales - dont let go of them!

Death is nothing but a testament of renewal of life and the eternal life cycle!

cheers... let's go party!

Priyank Gupta said...

shakespere may be off stage but new stories are still written
audience watch aptly, and love is still glorified by the smitten
no more frog incarcerated princess to live happily ever,
no more pretty fairies to turn pumpkins into horse seligh
but pertty people hiding gumball machine inside to savor,
and same pretty guardian angels with nice things to say.
evil things exists, but only to proclaim the existence of good
as it declare it's victory, over the satan under that hood
Cinderella's are not invited anymore, and rotten fruits act as sedative,
but like it has always been, "living happily ever after" is still relative.
passing out in bathtub, is part of cycle, to wake up with baptism dip
as you leave the monochromatic world behind, you'd come back to colors with that holy sip!

You might not be a poet, but I can swear, most of the poets can hardly bring words closely to say something so beautiful!

Wear the glasses of optimism, and world will be 100 times better to live in! :D

Hugs
@tom

Iris said...

@tom, can't stop smiling after reading your dose on optimism:-)
Thank you, I think you got me infected :ppp
Yes, life is beautiful...
Only we are becoming demons!

ShaluBhuchar said...

This is a wonderfully bleak piece. We can't always write about love and beauty coz they're balanced out by events liked death and emotions like gloom and a terrible sadness.

I think it's been very well written.

Iris said...

Thank you BMW. This piece is very close to my heart:-)